In one of my previous posts someone had commented they wondered if this technique would work on a carpet so I gave it a shot.
See more info on my blog here: https://www.artstation.com/daverig/blog/BLqd/under-the-rug
Seems to work pretty good. One thing I did notice is because this scanning can pick up very small details you have to be really careful when scanning. It seems there was a small bump in the throw rug when I scanned it even though I couldn't see it. This caused a high spot in the normal map and that's whats causing the line down the middle of the texture that's really noticeable in the tilled images.